Two-Screen Marketing: TV and Movie Marketing Meets ‘Tour Wrist’ Mobile Experience; Meets Immersive Consumer Engagement Experience
February 21, 2011 – Atlanta, GA USA – Network and cable television marketing today is about two-screens.
“‘We know people are multitasking while they’re watching TV,’ said Albert Cheng, the executive vice president for digital media for the Disney/ABC Television Group, which oversee ABC. ‘The question is, how do we tap into that and create a whole different consumer experience?’” reported The New York Times on Sunday (2/20/11).
As a GREAT! IDEAologist in the television and entertainment space, I am always looking for two-screen audience engagement technologies first developed for other spaces that can be mashed up for television series, movies and other entertainment experiences.
So when I attended the by invitation only technology Startup Riot in Atlanta on Wednesday (2/16/11) and saw the ‘teleport in’ go-anywhere-without-going Tour Wrist online and mobile marketing platform – first conceived for virtual tours in the travel space – I immediately visualized how the free Tour Wrist iPhone/iPad app – and two-screen online experience – could create value for television series and movies.
The new paradigm for creating and marketing television series and movies in a world of social engagement and brand activation means that television and movie producers and marketers – to create value – now also need to create immersive consumer engagement experiences during TV Series/Movie production – in addition to: 1) product integration; 2) sponsorship; and 3) other integrated marketing opportunities. Here is a GREAT! example of why you want to embed the consumer marketing team within the production of your TV show or movie – rather than handing over a finished television show or movie to then be marketed.
First, to help visualize where I am going with this idea, please:
While you may have seen 360 degree panoramic images when looking at a hotel room, cruise ship cabin, restaurant or rooms in a house for sale, the free Tour Wrist app (for iPhone) (for iPad) enables you to ‘teleport in’ to have a being-there-without-being-there immersive location experience by levering magnetometer data and the real-time accelerometer in your iPhone and iPad. “We saw a significant opportunity to connect the world with locations in a way that is much more intuitive than what people are currently use to,” says Tour Wrist Founder and CEO Charles Armstrong. “In addition to viewing the photographer’s cylindrical or spherical imagery on the web, the Tour Wrist app places the viewer inside of the photographed environment for an intimate and tactile experience.”
- Go On Set Experience: What’s it like to be on set – to see the set from the actors’ perspective? Actors and crew freeze for 15 seconds while a photographer shoots a 360 degree panoramic “you control the move-e image” with the Tour Wrist app of each scene shot: including the lights, cameras, set, actors and production crew. All the 360 degree panoramic images are linked so that the viewer can visit the adjacent sound stage set – or location – room-by-connecting-room. The viewer sees the actual configuration of the set experience. It’s the ultimate ‘teleport in’ immersion experience for your audience – without your audience actually being on the set. For example, if you are producing a television series or movie with a crime scene, your viewers can ‘teleport in’ with the Tour Wrist produced “white-label” [TV Show Name] Crime ‘Seen’ 360 App – for an immersive, get-in-close examination of the clues and evidence.
- Movie Sequence: Same as number 1, except the “360 degree you control the ‘move-e’ panoramic images are linked in the order of the actual television show or movie sequence. Viewers can hit pause on their DVR and take a behind-the-scenes closer look in “real time” …
- Go Backstage Experience: Actors and crew freeze for 15 seconds while the photographer captures a 360 degree panoramic Tour Wrist “you control the move-e image” while actors get their make-up and hair done, get styled; and while the actors and crew visit craft services or are on meal break.
- Visit The Stars’ Trailer Experience: Let’s go inside each of the actors’ trailers to see the “you control the move-e image:” ideally, with the actor present
- Visit The Production Trailers Experience: Let’s go inside each of the production trailers.
- Product Integration Experiences: actors freeze for 15 seconds while the photographer captures a 360 degree panoramic Tour Wrist image with the product integration experience.
- Product and Stars: the photographer captures a 360 degree panoramic Tour Wrist “you control the move-e image”with the integrated products and stars.
- Red Carpet Premiere From The Stars’ Perspective Experience: At the theatrical movie premiere, a photographer shoots a 360 degree panoramic Tour Wrist “you-control-the-move-e image” …
- Stars and Producers Collaboration Experience: When actors and producers congregate and collaborate together, freeze for 15 seconds while the photographer shoots a 360 degree panoramic Tour Wrist “you-control-the-move-e image” …
- Location Scouting Tool Experience: TV and film production executives get an immersion experience “visiting” potential shoot locations (better, faster and easier decision). These location scouting trip images become part of the DVD or micro-site bonus content.
These 360 degree panoramic Tour Wrist “you control the move-e images” get re-purposed to help get more viewers, increase viewer engagement and help sponsors sell more product. For example:
- Tour Wrist iPad/iPhone app immersive experience
- Tour Wrist iPad/iPhone private label app immersive experience (TV Network, Cable Channel or Sponsor)
- Websites (TV Network, Cable Channel, Sponsors production company)
- DVD bonus content
While it may seem early for a television series or movie to leverage new audience engagement services like the “travel remotely” Tour Wrist app, media companies that are early adopters will benefit from the buzz generated from traditional media coverage and the viral social engagmenet word-of-mouth; and be better positioned to leverage a rapidly growing smartphone audience [More than 50 percent of the U.S. will have a smartphone by 3Q11 or 4Q11, according to Nielsen (as reported by MediaPost on 2/5/11).]
“A recent study by Deoitte of 2,000 American consumers ages 14 to 75 found that 42 percent sometimes surfed the Web while watching TV,” reported The New York Times on Sunday (2/20/11). “Analysts say such behavior will become more common as tablets and smartphones become more prevalent.”
Imagine being among the first television series or movie to go full throttle with Tour Wrist ‘teleport in’ immersive mobile experience.
*This ideation is a mashup of thinking by the GREAT! and Tour Wrist teams to help television networks, cable TV channels, producers, production companies and movie studios visualize and leverage the Tour Wrist online and mobile marketing platform and to experience GREAT! ideation.
- EPM Communications – Profiles of the U.S. Simultaneous Media User (75 pages with 55 charts, graphs and tables) (2/11)
- AP – 360-Degree Cameras to Deepen Online Oscar Ogling (2/24/11)
- WSJ – D: All Things Digital – Bubbli … a Hit at TED (3/3/11)
- RetailCustomerExperience.com – Mobile Retail Monday: The Tour Wrist App (5/23/11)
- Mike Wittenstein – Retail’s New Killer App: Tour Wrist (5/18/11)
- USA Today • Technology Live – [Kogeto Dot] Device Lets You Capture 360-Degree Videos From iPhone 4 ( 5/23/11)
- Mobile Payments Today – Retail Tour Wrist App Shows Possibilities for Augmented Mobile Commerce (6/3/11)
- Tampa Bay Business Journal – Tour Wrist, ZVRS, Altorr Takes Judges’ Awards at coolTECH (6/10/11)
- Tampa Bay Online (TBO.com) – Tampa Tech Show Brings Out the Apps and Gadgets (6/10/11) (TBA Mobile)
- Tampabay.com – Photo Tour: At coolTECH: Tour Wrist Wins Coolest of the Cool (6/13/11)
Tour Wrist Related Stories by GREAT! CEO Dan Smigrod
- That’s GREAT! – Tour Wrist 360-Degree Panoramic Virtual Tour Hosting Company Engages GREAT! Agency for Strategic Alliance and Business Development (5/9/11)
- That’s GREAT! – Summer Tour Wrist: Seamlessly Shoot and Share 360-Degree Virtual Tour Photos and Video – Free (4/27/11)
Short URL For This Page
- GREAT! is a Value Added Reseller (VAR) and Agent for the Tour Wrist online and mobile marketing platform. If you contact Tour Wrist directly, please let them know that you were referred by: dan@GREATtv.com
- GREAT! Photographer Dan Smigrod shoots 360 degree panoramic images for Tour Wrist.
Example (above): TOUR WRIST virtual tour image using Embed Tour as Popup Code • Atlanta Spring 2011 Swimwear & Glamour Photo Shoot, Atlanta, GA Image by TOUR WRIST virtual tour Photographer Dan Smigrod